Saturday, November 25, 2006

12-0: Are You Kidding?

The BSU Broncos wrapped up a perfect football season by beating Nevada today and while the rest of the country is saying "ho-hum", Bronco fans are going crazy!
Today's win assures a spot in a BCS Bowl game. They will probably wind up at the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, AZ against the Big 12 champion, either Nebraska or Oklahoma. This is not for sure, they may yet go to another major bowl, but the Fiesta Bowl scenerio seems most likely.
I spent some time in Norman, Oklahoma last year (2005) and they are nuts about their Sooners. I made comments to some that Boise State would love to have a chance to play them and the response was pretty much no more than a blank stare. Most of the country did not see BSU's success coming, even though since 2002, only one team in the country has more wins than we do and that's USC....and only one more. Granted, our schedule is not one of the toughest out there, in fact, it's comparatively easy, but it's still pretty impressive to keep winning at the pace we have. Anyway, I wonder if those Normanites even remember me or what I said.
Some guys that did know all about our team were a bunch that I met in Boston They were workers for the MBTA for whom I did some work. Those guys knew a lot about sports as fans and as gamblers. One of them told me that betting on BSU's football team had won him a bunch of cash over the last few years. I met those guys last December and ironically, Boston College came to Boise last year to play BSU in the MPC Computers Bowl and they won. That was the Broncos last loss.
Enough about that. Tomorrow I return to Spokane where their basketball team (Gonzaga) has achieved similar success to BSU's. They have been on the national radar for some time now and as it turns out, sports fans in that area root for the BSU football team with pretty much the same ferver that fans in Boise root for Gonzaga basketball. I suppose it's a regional thing.

3 Comments:

At November 26, 2006 at 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are those the guys with the blue grass? Smurf tur? Is that gay? Not that I care...

 
At November 26, 2006 at 4:06 PM, Blogger pgreg said...

No, pink turf would be gay. Not that I care either. And no, I'm not protesting too much. Or am I?

 
At January 4, 2007 at 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hat's off to the Boise Boyz, you can certainly be proud. It takes stones to call plays like that, and unbelievable execution (luck?) to put it all together. Go big Blue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home